Feb 5, 2013
Bothasig, Cape Town 7441
Counselling is a talk therapy where you gain a greater understanding of yourself. Counselling aims to help the individual find their own way forward and allow them to be their authentic self. Often we can get caught up in what’s expected of us or how society dictates we should be rather than ensuring our own personal needs are met.
People come to counselling for a number of reasons such as – To offload their thoughts and issues, to solve a specific issue, to improve their current circumstances, to cope better with life, to explore their inner selves, to cope with anxious thoughts and feelings, to gain greater self awareness, to improve their relationships with others, to move forward if they are feeling stuck, to find out who they are etc.
Talking openly in a safe environment can help you begin to piece together the parts of you that are most important and it can allow you to become more self aware. For example, there may be times when we display unwanted behaviours as a way of protecting ourselves. By being aware of our defence mechanisms and what triggers them, we can begin to live in a happier and more balanced way by not allowing these behaviours to develop.
Added awareness can often lead to us wanting to make positive changes and sometimes, the very smallest of change can have great effects. For example, being aware of the tone you use when talking to others and understanding the likely reaction you receive can allow you to alter this and observe the difference this makes.
By talking, it allows you to process more clearly and deeply. By having a professional with you, it can allow you to look at things you may be missing, take on board a different view point and allow you to delve deeper beneath the surface.
What kinds of problems can you talk to a counsellor about?
• Relationship difficulties - Family and friends, colleagues, commitment, jealousy, abuse
• Abuse – Verbal, Emotional
• Lack of confidence - Worried about failing, never being good enough, feeling judged
• Depression - Feeling isolated, lonely, empty, tearful, unloved, and suicidal.
• Repeated destructive behaviour - abusive relationships, anxiety,
• Stress - Out of control, panic attacks, feelings of inadequacy, Exam and Study stress
• Anger Management
• Bereavement/Grief - Loss, anger, loneliness, sadness & depression; Crises counseling
• being able to openly and safely explore their inner world.
• helps you to have a life which you can more fully enjoy and appreciate.
• help you to become the sort of person you want to be.
• help you to more deeply enjoy your important relationships.
• feel better about yourself
• feel more at peace, more comfortable, or more secure in the world
• feel more successfully (and more joyfully) connected with others (including your spouse/partner)
• reduce stress (which promotes physical health too)
• work through problems with a skilled, and compassionate professional
• identify your goals
• (those which can support the kind of life you would like to have)
• learn new behaviours and/or responses which can help you to achieve your goals
• establish ways and techniques for reaching your goals
• understand your own thoughts, feelings, and responses better
• understand your loved ones better
• have a safe and friendly ear; someone to use as a sounding board
• speak with a skilled and interested professional about your fears and perceptions
• talk with a compassionate professional about troubling or private concerns
• work towards greater self-fulfillment and self-mastery
Duration: 10 sessions @ 1hr Cost: R300 per session/R2500 for 10 sessions